The funeral director will give you a written estimate of the funeral costs. This will be made up of the funeral director's own costs and the disbursements, which are payments they make to third parties on your behalf. If you are not offered a written estimate please feel free to ask for it.
If you are asked to sign the estimate please read it carefully as this document may form the contract between you and the funeral director where you have agreed to be responsible for paying the bill.
The funeral director's charges will include:
- Looking after the deceased until the funeral
- Funeral cars and staff
- Professional services, including advice and time spent working with third parties
- Crematorium and/or church or cemetary
- Costs of the coffin or casket
The disbursements may include:
- Minister, celebrant or officiant
- Charges for doctors' cremation forms
- Charges for removal of a pacemaker etc
- Newspaper notice
- Catering arrangements