Informing financial organisations and asset holders

Financial Organisations

If probate is required and you are using a professional to take care of the process for you, all the asset and liability holders will automatically be written to informing them of the death, so you do not need to worry about informing them. Find out more about probate and what is involved with our step by step guide.

If you or an executor plan to carry out probate personally or if the assets can be released without probate, you should call the asset and liability holders, or produce a standard letter to send out, including the reference or account number. Many organisations will require a certified copy of the death certificate, but they will explain their requirements to you.

If you would like to find out more out probate, or have any questions about what you need to do, please call us.

Asset and liability holders

Asset holders have money or other items of value e.g. shares that have belonged to the deceased. Liability holders are owed money from the estate.

  • Bank and building society current and savings accounts - Accounts in joint names are not normally frozen but the bank or building society should still be informed.
  • Mortgage company
  • Landlord
  • Credit and store cards
  • Insurance companies e.g. life, medical, car, travel, buildings and contents. You must notify the insurance company for buildings and contents that was held in the name of the deceased as soon as possible especially if the property is now unoccupied
  • Premium bonds, National Savings and other investments, such as shares or ISAs
  • Hire purchase agreement / loan companies
  • Electric, gas and water companies
  • Telephone company
  • TV licensing - you will need to return the licence and arrange a refund, if due
  • TV companies, e.g. Sky
  • Internet service provider

Call us for bereavement advice

Contact us on 0800 634 9494. We're open from 9am to 5pm Mon - Fri. We are closed on bank holidays.

More articles