Informing insurance companies

It is important to be aware that insurance policies for buildings and home contents and also car insurance are often immediately invalid after the death of the policy holder. Therefore even if you are a named driver on a policy for a vehicle, you will not be covered if you drive it.

Please contact the insurance companies to make temporary arrangements until you are in a position to make longer term decisions.

You will also need to tell the insurance company if a property will be empty. It is wise to remove any easily portable valuables from the property for safe-keeping elsewhere. This may mean that you also to inform your own insurance company if you are looking after valuable items in your own home.

More articles