What to do when someone dies overseas

If the death occurs overseas, the registration process in that country must be followed in order to obtain a death certificate. Please see more on registering an overseas death.

You can arrange to have the funeral overseas if you wish. However, if you would prefer to return the deceased back to the UK you must use professional funeral directors who will be able to advise you on the practicalities. This will include obtaining necessary documents from:

  • The Registrar of Deaths and sometimes the Coroner in the UK
  • The documents needed from the country of death
  • The British Embassy or High Commission

Remember to discuss the costs of the repatriation with the funeral director before confirming any arrangements and be certain that you can pay these or that they are covered by an insurance policy.

Call us for help with finding your nearest coroner or funeral director.

More articles