Money and tax

Advice for money and tax issues after someone has died - financial support for those left behind, inheritance tax, and dealing with personal debt

When someone close to you dies, especially a spouse or civil partner, your financial situation may be affected and you may be anxious about experiencing financial need.

If you need to go through probate, it may be several months before you receive all the funds due to you.

We can explain the benefits and support that relate specifically to a death (see also the section on paying for the funeral) and the contact details for how to claim them.

The probate process includes completing tax forms even if the estate falls below the threshold for inheritance tax. Sometimes it may be necessary to pay income tax or capital gains tax as well. Using professional help with probate will ensure you do not pay more tax on the estate than is necessary.

More articles