Documents needed for arranging a funeral

Most of the paperwork required for a funeral to take place will be dealt with by the funeral director.

You will need to give the 'green form' issued by the Registrar to the funeral director, unless the coroner has been involved and no green form has been issued.

There are also different forms for a burial or cremation.

Forms for a burial

An application form to purchase a new grave or to re-open an existing plot if the funeral is to be a burial. The existing Deeds will be normally be required.

If the Coroner is to hold an inquest there will be no green form and instead the Coroner will issue an Order for Burial (form 101). This is usually collected by the funeral director from the coroner's service on your behalf.

If a burial is being organised urgently for reasons of faith, it is sometimes possible to obtain a green form from the Registrar prior to full registration of the death. A Medical Certificate of Cause of Death should normally have been issued.

Forms for a cremation

Since 1st January 2009 new forms are required to arrange and authorise the cremation of someone who has died. Some crematoria will print forms and issue these to doctors and funeral directors, but the forms can also be found on the website of the Ministry of Justice together with guidance for the various people involved.

The new forms are part of the process of improving safeguards for the public following the recommendations in the Shipman Reports. They will remain in place until there is a change in legislation which will introduce identical procedures for all deaths regardless of whether someone is to be buried or cremated.

The most significant change is that families of the deceased now have the right to inspect the forms completed by medical staff (Cremation 4 and 5). You will be informed of this by your funeral director, but it is very important that you tell the funeral director if you would like to exercise this right. If you have concerns about what has been written as the cause of death you should discuss this with the doctor who issued the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death before going to the Registrar of Deaths. To inspect the forms you need to make an appointment with the Crematorium Office so it is important you give your funeral director contact details so that you can be informed as soon as they have arrived. You then have 48 hours in which to see them – it is essential that you take these timescales into account when you are thinking about the date for the funeral.

The most commonly used forms are:

  • Cremation 1: Application for cremation of the body of a person who has died.

The funeral director will usually assist you with this form.The crematorium will also usually have its own form asking you for instructions on what to do with the Cremated Remains (Ashes).

  • Cremation 4: Usually completed by the doctor who completed the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.

  • Cremation 5: Completed by an experienced doctor who was not looking after the person who died.

These forms are usually requested by the funeral director and collected by them on your behalf and delivered to the crematorium. However some hospitals/doctors will ask whether you will be arranging a burial or cremation so they can complete these forms promptly.There is a charge for these forms which forms part of the 'disbursements' charged by the funeral director.

  • Cremation 6: The certificate issued by the Coroner if there has been a coroner's post mortem examination. Used in all cases when there has been a coroner's post mortem whether there is to be an inquest or not. Replaces the green form from the Registrar in these circumstances.

  • Cremation 10: Authorisation of cremation of deceased person by medical referee.This is the final document issued by the doctor who works at the crematorium which allows the cremation to take place.

Call us for bereavement advice

Contact us on 0800 634 9494. We're open from 9am to 5pm Mon - Fri. We are closed on bank holidays.

More articles