Get help with money and tax

Get advice on money and tax after someone has died

Dealing with the money of someone who has died

Sometimes probate is needed to deal with the finances of someone who has died. Probate is the legal process of dealing with someone's money, assets and possessions. If probate is needed, these assets will be frozen until you undertake this process.

You can find out if you need probate and get help from Co-op Legal Services.

Find out if you need probate, with Co-op Legal Services

Get general advice about tax and money when someone has died

If you have questions about money and tax, but you don't need probate, Citizens Advice Bureau can help you.

You can contact an adviser through their national phone service:

Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848

Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 144 8884

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

The Citizens Advice Bureau's Adviceline is available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. It’s usually busiest at the beginning and end of the day. It's not available on public holidays.

More articles