Dealing with the estate
- Find out if the deceased made a Will and where it is located. It may be at the deceased's property or their solicitor may have a copy. Please call us if you cannot find the Will and we will be able to advise you on the next steps.
- If there is no Will, you will need to decide who will sort out the deceased's estate and they will need to contact the Probate Registry to apply for Letters of Administration.
- Find out if probate is needed. If it is, obtain the Will, find out who the executors are and inform them of the death if they don't already know.
- Gather any documents relating to financial affairs and property ownership. If there is a Will the executor should be responsible for this.
- The executor or administrator will need to decide how to go about the probate process and whether to use a professional or undertake the administration themselves. For more information on the options available, please call us.
Page Last Updated : 23/03/2009
© Bereavement Advice Centre